Skip to main content

10 Tips for Fun & Healthy Travels to Secrets Akumal


Last week we set our alarm for 4:00am and started a long travel day to Secrets Akumal.  First we loaded a bus at the Griffin Gate Marriott in Lexington, KY and traveled to the Louisville airport.  Then we flew from Louisville to Atlanta and then Atlanta to Cancun.  Lastly, after a hour and 15 minutes bus ride, we finally arrived at the hotel and were home for the week.  Over the last 12 years of yearly resort travels, I have experienced and learned several tips and continue to learn something new each year.  Here are 10 tips for traveling to Secrets Akumal from my point of view.  

1. Dress comfortably for a long day of travel...especially when traveling with your hubby and friends for vacation.  There really is no reason to dress up when you will be traveling for 8 hours.  Grab a favorite or new pair of yoga pants, tank top and light jacket.  You'll have to take off the jacket in security, but you may need it if the airplane or bus air gets blasted.  Also, wear tennis shoes so they don't weigh down your baggage and you'll have then on your trip to workout...and wear socks so you don't have to walk barefoot through security.  




2.  Take an empty water bottle and fill it after passing through security.  You can't take drinks with you through security so if you decide you need a Starbucks, wait until after security to purchase your coffee.  I tend to get seated in the back of the plane and waiting the entire flight for water can be frustrating, so by having a water bottle I stay hydrated while waiting on the flight service!! .





3.  Take a dinner picture each night with your spouse or friends. Personally, I love taking several pictures throughout each day and night, but if nothing else, take a picture before or during dinner. You'll be happy years later that you a record of your trips. 


4. Take along travel packets of Shakeology and don't be afraid to ask the bartenders to make you a shake each day.  The first night of the trip I had my shake between drinks after dinner.  I was tired and needed energy and hadn't had my vitamins and nutrients for the day.  The next day, I worked out at 2:30 pm and then stopped by the bar for a Shakeology shake.  The 3rd and 4th days,  I had a shake for a mid-morning snack at the pool's swim up bar.  And then on the way home, I chose a shake over a hamburger.  It was only 10am when we were in the airport...a better time in my eyes for a shake rather than a lunch. Shakeology is MUCH cheaper than airport food and it held me over until lunchtime when I had a sandwich on the plane that I had purchased in the airport food court.  


5. Check out the nightly entertainment.  
The shows at the resort were fabulous from rope climbing to singing and twirling fire.
The entertainment crew was amazing!!


6. Order Room Service and enjoy not having to rush back and forth around the resort.  Compared to a buffet...if you eat in your room you are likely to eat less and possibly not have to wait standing up.  We had breakfast EVERY morning in the room.  Prefer a plate of fruit and eggs for breakfast when on vacation.  However at home it's Shakeology for the ease and convenience each morning.  We also had room service around 5pm as we showered for dinner...this was typically my afternoon snack and while I enjoyed a piece of pizza or nachos...having the snack helped my metabolism and kept me from over eating or drinking at dinner.

7. Take a walk on the beach and see what you might discover.  One day we found cute turtle and mermaid "sand sculptures.'  We noticed the hotels on the left and right included children, while Secrets does not. Look for other beach activities that can provide good exercise like snorkeling and kayaking.
 



 8. Engage in the entertainment throughout the day. Whether it's Yoga, Bike Rides, Water Aerobics, Speed Boat Racing, Spanish Lessons or Scuba Diving...choose your favorites each day and have a little fun while interacting with other guests. Entertainment continues in the night with sports watching at the Halftime bar and dancing at the Desires bar.  


9.  Enjoy a trip to the spa...a massage, pedicure or just a relaxing Therapy Day Pass to the quiet pool and stress relief in the sauna and steam room.  I loved the spa so much I went with a friend in the morning and my hubby in the afternoon.


10.  Stay positive on the way home and plan to remain in touch with one another until the next trip.  Whether it's Girls' Night Out or daily texts to encourage workouts...stay in touch, build a relationship and have fun between this year and next year's trip!!.

Want more info on finding a workout program and starting the portion control eating plan?  Complete the form below and then comment or private message me about my fitness support group that will provide additional tips to get you to your Spring Break and Summer body that you desire.





There are tons of Wufoo features to help make your forms awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakeology No Bake Cookies

Over the weekend, I made Shakeology No Bake Cookies (or balls). I prefer to make these as balls rather than flattening them as cookies.  I've made them with both Chocolate and Vanilla Shakeology and both are good.  Using the Vanilla Shakeology actually creates Peanut Butter Balls...you don't really notice the vanilla...it just mixes in.  My girls and husband prefer the Peanut Butter Balls, but when I am craving chocolate...this is a great option!  The girls love helping with this recipe and it's super easy! Ingredients:  1 cup Chocolate or Vanilla Shakeology 1 cup all-natural peanut butter 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats 1/2 cup raw honey How to Make:  Combine ingredients into a medium bowl, mix well with rubber spatula or by hand. Roll mixture into balls about 1 inch in size. Put into container. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Enjoy cold. If you are interested in more healthy eating or Shakeology recipes or are looking for fitness support...create

Home Workouts brought my Pre-Baby Body & Confidence Back

After having my two girls, I struggled with getting to the gym as its daycare hours didn’t work around my schedule.  The best day for me was Saturday morning and thenI had to gather my iPad, earbuds, towel, diapers, wipes and two girls.  By the time we were buckled into the car, 30 minutes later, someone had to go to the bathroom.  Then once we got to the gym, I did an hour of cardio while watching Mad Men and walked around the equipment trying to recall sessions with a personal trainer years ago.  Then a week later, we did it all over again and during the week, I walked outside a few nights a week.  My eating habits were somewhat healthy, but I finished my daughter’s mac and cheese and nibbled on her pretzels and goldfish during snack time. As a result, I didn't lose weight, I was tired and I was somewhat depressed as I missed the time and luxury of going to the gym before they were born. Then a friend posted her results from 21 Day Fix and I asked her a few questions th

Almond Joy candy vs. wonder whip

As Halloween approaches, candy options are more and more tempting.  Ok, maybe candy is tempting all year around!!  You want to think those little pieces of chocolate won't affect your weight goals, but they can.  Especially when it's hard to just eat one or two.  Personally, I would much rather have several bites of dessert than just one, so these wonder whip solutions are an amazing alternative to a few pieces of candy!! They are much more filling and satisfying!!  Whip up a bowl today and give your sweet tooth what it wants!!   Thanks to Ilana Muhlstein for sharing this recipe and her registered dietitian knowledge through the 2B Mindset Nutrition program and certified mentorship training!  B oth the Almond Joy candy and wonder whip have 235 calories, but you get a WHOLE cup with the whip rather than just two bites!!  Ingredients:  1 Cup 0-2% Plain Greek Yogurt 1 TBSP unsweetened Shredded Coconut 1 TBSP Cocoa Nibs 2 tsp. cocoa powder