Skip to main content

How I Lost the Last 10 pounds….and keep it off…after having 2 kids

How it Started
In high school, I could eat what I wanted and then go to cheer practice or softball practice and never gain a pound.  Then I went to college and worked in the gym, so I was able to workout 5-6 days a week and continue to eat and drink as I pleased.  Yes, I gained a little weight my freshman year as I adjusted to being away from home, but I was able to lose it once I got into my routine. 

However after I graduated and started working full-time I wasn’t eating as healthy and my workout days decreased to 3-4 days a week.  And then I got married and had kids and things REALLY changed.  MY workout days were non-existent.  I walked outside or went to the gym on the weekends, but that was it.  My hips and waist had completely changed from pregnancies and none of my clothes fit….although I only had 10-15 pounds that I wanted to lose.  I needed to find a way to add in exercise and be accountable to my eating. 

Choose a challenging workout
First I needed a challenging workout that I could do in limited time from my home.  I wanted something with variety and that I wouldn’t get bored with.  I liked the idea of the 21 Day Fix because the workouts are only 30 minutes short and there is a different workout for each day of the week! I’m not a huge fan of cardio, so only having to do it 2 days a week and then incorporating in arms, legs, Pilates and Yoga sounded perfect!  At first I could barely make it through the cardio workouts and I followed the modified moves, but each week I got stronger and could hold planks longer and raise my leg more times.  The equipment needed is minimal….just a yoga mat, 3, 5, or 8 dumbbells, a water bottle and towel to get started and after a few rounds you may even want to up the weights for a better challenge.


Mix up the workouts after a few rounds
After several rounds of this program, I decided to mix it up…plus a new 30 minute workout was introduced and I was really excited to try it.  I had lost 10 pounds and 2 pant sizes in 2 months…and maintained the weight loss during football and holiday season.  Now it was time to step up my game before my winter vacation to Mexico!  I decided to try a pure cardio program…even though I know cardio isn’t my favorite…I knew the results would be amazing!!  And I was right…the cardio did wonders on my core and legs and I even saw some new definition in my arms…in just 1 month!!



Then another new program was launched…21 Day Fix Extreme.  I was really missing the trainer, Autumn’s workout style and I wanted to get back to the variety of cardio and lifting.  So I did this intermediate/advanced workout for 21 Days and followed the meal plan 90% of the time.  My eating habits had improved…I was trying to eat foods listed in the top 1/3 of the list provided in the meal guide and I was drinking Shakeology daily.  I noticed cravings decreased…especially since I started making desserts like Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies and Ice Cream with Shakeology.

Create and follow weekly meal plans
Before I started this journey, my husband and I ate somewhat healthy and followed Weight Watchers.  We ate healthy and low fat foods, but I ate way too many pretzels and goldfish instead of fruits and veggies.  Unfortunately the results don’t appear by just working out…you also have to follow a meal guide and make a weekly meal plan to ensure you are eating the right foods and fueling your body with dense nutrients so it is ready to “go hard” with each workout.

Plus I had to be committed to following the meal plan at least 90-95% of the time to see quick results that I knew I wanted.  I incorporated Shakeology as my daily breakfast because it’s quick and easy…and it refuels my body after morning workouts…and it provides a boost of energy. 
The last 10 pounds take dedication, commitment and sacrifice.  It’s really best to not even focus on the pounds lost, but to focus on strength and confidence gained.  I stepped off the scale and took pictures weekly and measurements each month to track my progress.   I took a good look at what I was eating and strived to eat better foods each week.

Join a Support Group
I found the accountability group made me think about my meal plan and eating choices throughout the day.  When others posted in the group it made me think twice about eating candy or going off my meal plan.  I enjoy meeting other people in the groups and reading that they go through the same struggles.  We are able to help each other and give positive advice.  The groups are always full of positivity and great ideas…not only able fitness, but also about time management, budgeting and working out.

Stay Accountable and Share On
Several friends asked me about the groups and suggested I create them on my own, so I did. I became a coach to pass on my experiences and knowledge in hopes of inspiring and motivating others.  I share my experiences daily through posts on social media including my personal Facebook page, business page and support groups.  I also blog….although not as often as I would like.  And of course I share in person my love and passion for these programs and products.  
As I share, others ask to join my groups and I invite them as well.  I have a friend that sends me a text each morning that she is pushing play and I message her right back.  As success partners, we keep each other accountable to the plan and goals I have shared in the group. I couldn’t do this alone and no one should…everyone should help each other and grow together…it’s just more fun that way!!

Continue On
Now that I have reached my goal weight, I continue with the daily workouts and meal plans because this is a lifestyle change I have made for myself.  It’s not a diet or a fad.  It’s something you have to continue, which is why when you create the meal plans you must include you favorite foods…both health and a few cheats.  Don’t deprive yourself, enjoy food when you eat it but know that you have to have a certain amount of dense nutrients for your body to refuel after workouts to maintain the energy level you and your family need. 
For more information about the programs and meal planning, check out other areas of my blog, “like” my Facebook page and message me!  You can also join the “What is a Challenge Group” sneak peek event that will better explain the 21 Day Fix workout program and meal plan. 


If you want to lose those last 10 pounds, I’d love to help you start and complete a program and help you find a healthier, happier lifestyle like I have found!! Complete the below application.  Then send me a private message on Facebook or email me at atabb01@gmail.com.  



The easy to use Wufoo form builder helps you make forms easy, fast, and fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakeology No Bake Cookies

Over the weekend, I made Shakeology No Bake Cookies (or balls). I prefer to make these as balls rather than flattening them as cookies.  I've made them with both Chocolate and Vanilla Shakeology and both are good.  Using the Vanilla Shakeology actually creates Peanut Butter Balls...you don't really notice the vanilla...it just mixes in.  My girls and husband prefer the Peanut Butter Balls, but when I am craving chocolate...this is a great option!  The girls love helping with this recipe and it's super easy! Ingredients:  1 cup Chocolate or Vanilla Shakeology 1 cup all-natural peanut butter 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats 1/2 cup raw honey How to Make:  Combine ingredients into a medium bowl, mix well with rubber spatula or by hand. Roll mixture into balls about 1 inch in size. Put into container. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Enjoy cold. If you are interested in more healthy eating or Shakeology recipes or are looking for fitness support...create

Home Workouts brought my Pre-Baby Body & Confidence Back

After having my two girls, I struggled with getting to the gym as its daycare hours didn’t work around my schedule.  The best day for me was Saturday morning and thenI had to gather my iPad, earbuds, towel, diapers, wipes and two girls.  By the time we were buckled into the car, 30 minutes later, someone had to go to the bathroom.  Then once we got to the gym, I did an hour of cardio while watching Mad Men and walked around the equipment trying to recall sessions with a personal trainer years ago.  Then a week later, we did it all over again and during the week, I walked outside a few nights a week.  My eating habits were somewhat healthy, but I finished my daughter’s mac and cheese and nibbled on her pretzels and goldfish during snack time. As a result, I didn't lose weight, I was tired and I was somewhat depressed as I missed the time and luxury of going to the gym before they were born. Then a friend posted her results from 21 Day Fix and I asked her a few questions th

Almond Joy candy vs. wonder whip

As Halloween approaches, candy options are more and more tempting.  Ok, maybe candy is tempting all year around!!  You want to think those little pieces of chocolate won't affect your weight goals, but they can.  Especially when it's hard to just eat one or two.  Personally, I would much rather have several bites of dessert than just one, so these wonder whip solutions are an amazing alternative to a few pieces of candy!! They are much more filling and satisfying!!  Whip up a bowl today and give your sweet tooth what it wants!!   Thanks to Ilana Muhlstein for sharing this recipe and her registered dietitian knowledge through the 2B Mindset Nutrition program and certified mentorship training!  B oth the Almond Joy candy and wonder whip have 235 calories, but you get a WHOLE cup with the whip rather than just two bites!!  Ingredients:  1 Cup 0-2% Plain Greek Yogurt 1 TBSP unsweetened Shredded Coconut 1 TBSP Cocoa Nibs 2 tsp. cocoa powder