Skip to main content

Taking Steps to Healthy Eating


Do you find eating healthy is difficult and can be expensive??? I know do, so I have tried to take a few steps to make it easier and less expensive for my family.  The first step....MEAL PLAN!!!

Sunday mornings, I enjoy browsing recipes in cookbooks or on Pinterest as my husband, Matt and I start to MEAL PLAN for the week.  I have several cookbooks that I reference including Men's Health's "A Man, A Can, A Plan," "A Man, A Can, and a Grill," and "A Man, A Can and a Microwave."   Matt and I have cooked from these books for over 10 years and many of them fall nicely in line with the 21 Day FIX meal guides.  We also use a few Weight Watcher cookbooks, recipes from our parents and of course, Pinterest! Recently I found a Turkey Chili on Pinterest that was fabulous and it was a crockpot meal, so it was easy too!! Here's a picture of me prepping the chili while I watched a UK basketball game! :)

As I find recipes such as this one, I enter the ingredients that I will need into the appropriate "Any List."  We choose this app because it has a share feature.  We both have it on our phones and have it set up where we see the same list and receive a notification when a change is made by adding or crossing off an item on the list.  It's nice that we can add items throughout the week as we realize that we are running low or completely out of a specific item.  Also while shopping, we can cross items off & know what is still needed.  The list can also be saved...you clear the crosses off and start again.  Plus you can have multiple lists for different stores.  So we have a list for Sam's, one for Costo and one for Kroger since those are the main places we grocery shop.  Having a LIST whether it's on your hand, a piece of paper or on your phone will help you save time and money as you grocery shop each week!





Our Sam's list includes items like....bananas, salad, veggies, strawberries, groups, peanuts, water bottles, salsa, string cheese, lunch meat, steak, chicken breast, pork chops, etc.  Of course we also have food specifically for the girls, infant items, dog items and misc. other items.  Shopping at Sam's is great if you have a family, but if it's just for one person, the quantities will likely be too big.

However, I find that for our family the quantities are just right and we save money overall by shopping at bulk discount stores!  We can easily go through 8-9 bananas a week, a hug bag of salad, a large quantity of strawberries and so forth.  I pack lunch for myself and Caroline daily, Courtney packs a lunch 2-3 times a week and Matt has started eating at home or packing a lunch at least 2-3 days a week.

As soon as the groceries come in the door, I try to immediately prep the produce!! PREPPING is the next step towards Healthy Eating!! Putting items into containers for the week on Saturday or Sunday makes weeknights so much easier!  Here is an example of the fruits and veggies packed into containers and ready to go into lunches during the week.

Here is a better look at the inside of "Mom's" lunch and snack containers.  These show how I portion out the food using the 21 Day FIX containers and then moved them to another container as I only have 1 set of 21DF containers.

While I are far from perfect and these steps (meal planning, making a list and prepping) don't always get complete due to work, kids' activities or weather...I feel these are the great steps toward eating healthy, decreasing stress and spending less money on food.

For more information on steps toward Healthy Eating message me on Facebook, create a FREE account on my website.
For more information on Cleaning Eating complete this form to be added to the next Clean Eating Information/Challenge group (a free, private Facebook group)!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakeology No Bake Cookies

Over the weekend, I made Shakeology No Bake Cookies (or balls). I prefer to make these as balls rather than flattening them as cookies.  I've made them with both Chocolate and Vanilla Shakeology and both are good.  Using the Vanilla Shakeology actually creates Peanut Butter Balls...you don't really notice the vanilla...it just mixes in.  My girls and husband prefer the Peanut Butter Balls, but when I am craving chocolate...this is a great option!  The girls love helping with this recipe and it's super easy! Ingredients:  1 cup Chocolate or Vanilla Shakeology 1 cup all-natural peanut butter 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats 1/2 cup raw honey How to Make:  Combine ingredients into a medium bowl, mix well with rubber spatula or by hand. Roll mixture into balls about 1 inch in size. Put into container. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Enjoy cold. If you are interested in more healthy eating or Shakeology recipes or are looking for fitness support...create

Home Workouts brought my Pre-Baby Body & Confidence Back

After having my two girls, I struggled with getting to the gym as its daycare hours didn’t work around my schedule.  The best day for me was Saturday morning and thenI had to gather my iPad, earbuds, towel, diapers, wipes and two girls.  By the time we were buckled into the car, 30 minutes later, someone had to go to the bathroom.  Then once we got to the gym, I did an hour of cardio while watching Mad Men and walked around the equipment trying to recall sessions with a personal trainer years ago.  Then a week later, we did it all over again and during the week, I walked outside a few nights a week.  My eating habits were somewhat healthy, but I finished my daughter’s mac and cheese and nibbled on her pretzels and goldfish during snack time. As a result, I didn't lose weight, I was tired and I was somewhat depressed as I missed the time and luxury of going to the gym before they were born. Then a friend posted her results from 21 Day Fix and I asked her a few questions th

Almond Joy candy vs. wonder whip

As Halloween approaches, candy options are more and more tempting.  Ok, maybe candy is tempting all year around!!  You want to think those little pieces of chocolate won't affect your weight goals, but they can.  Especially when it's hard to just eat one or two.  Personally, I would much rather have several bites of dessert than just one, so these wonder whip solutions are an amazing alternative to a few pieces of candy!! They are much more filling and satisfying!!  Whip up a bowl today and give your sweet tooth what it wants!!   Thanks to Ilana Muhlstein for sharing this recipe and her registered dietitian knowledge through the 2B Mindset Nutrition program and certified mentorship training!  B oth the Almond Joy candy and wonder whip have 235 calories, but you get a WHOLE cup with the whip rather than just two bites!!  Ingredients:  1 Cup 0-2% Plain Greek Yogurt 1 TBSP unsweetened Shredded Coconut 1 TBSP Cocoa Nibs 2 tsp. cocoa powder