Skip to main content

Pack light but take all the essentials...

As we traved home from Los Cabos, I typed some travel tips to share...

1. Limited # of outfits...only take 1 dress or outfit for each night. I've found to do this I purchase new dresses and outfits in Oct-Dec when they are on sale. Then I have them for our Feb trip and to wear the following summer. My dresses this year came from Figleaf, Bluetique and Old Navy. I also purchased 4 new swimsuits from Old Navy. With a limited number of itms Matt and I only checked one hanging bag and had a carry on each. 

2. Organize how you pack..I've found I can get the most in the suitcase when I put shoes on the bottom. Then I fill in spaces with under garments and then place workout short, tanks and pajamas on top. I fill additional gaps with socks and swimsuits and and other items. I wear my tennis shoes to the airport and have one pair of flip flops in the top of the suitcase so I can switch when we land in our warm destination. Dresses, suntan lotion, and toiletries are packed in the hanging bag. 

3.  Bring your own food and snacks...Airport food can be expensive and unhealthy so pack your own sandwiches and snacks. Before we leave, we pick up a ham/turkey sub for $5.99 at Kroger that we split. We wrap it in foil and pack it in a lunchbox with other light snacks and fruit and place in the carry on bag. Since drinks can't go through security, I typically purchase a water bottle before boarding the plane. I've found this is the best way to stay hydrated as cabin service can be unpredictable. On our way to Los Cabos we were the last seats served beverages and on the flight home there were no lunch sandwiches sold. 


4. Take sample packs of Shakeology...I knew my meal plan was out the window for vacation but I still wanted to get my vitamins and minerals each day. Plus after working out at the resort I needed to refuel and when I had a bad reaction to dinner one night I needed something to eliminate toxins...Shakeology was my answer. I simply took the sample pack and banana to the bartender and asked for the shake to be mixed. This was a fabulous afternoon shake after being out in the sun all day as it refueled for the evening. The day we left, I had my shake on the way to the airport as a mid-morning snack.

5.  Don't forget your workout...even though I'm on vacation I still plan a daily workout. On this trip I was able to log onto Team Beachbody's On Demand from my iPad and do 21 Day Fix Cardio. BB On Demand features will be available beginning March 2 through the Club Membership and offers access to several workout programs including Insanity, T25, P90X, Body Beast and Turbo Fire. New programs like 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme and Insanity Max30 offer sneak peak workouts through On Demand but not the entire program. The great thing about On Demand is you don't have to worry about packing DVDs and a video player. All you need is internet access and you can log onto your club membership and select a workout!! Resort activities  like yoga, water aerobics, bike tours and kayaking can also offer a great workout while enjoying the resort and outdoors!  Be sure to arrive early to ensure you get equipment as some like bike tours can fill up quickly and resorts only have a limited number of bikes. 

6. Don't forget medicines...be sure to pack any daily medicines you take plus pack Advil, Tums and  AD. I also pack Kleenex, antibacterial lotion, Tide pen, gum and Clorox wipes in my carry on. 

7.  Remember the kids...while on the trip I remembered to grab a few things to bring back to our girls ages 2 and 7. Nothing big but both girls were so excited to have presents from Mexico...shower gel, lotion, shower cap, chocolates, cookie, and pens from the hotel and airplane. The only thing I bought was a $4 pack of gum suckers from the airport. They even got new Pom pons from our game night on the trip!  These girls thought they hit the jackpot and enjoyed a sucker the first night we returned!!

As this vacation ended, it was time to start planning for our family spring break next month. The packing and traveling will be completely different as we travel by car with kids!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakeology No Bake Cookies

Over the weekend, I made Shakeology No Bake Cookies (or balls). I prefer to make these as balls rather than flattening them as cookies.  I've made them with both Chocolate and Vanilla Shakeology and both are good.  Using the Vanilla Shakeology actually creates Peanut Butter Balls...you don't really notice the vanilla...it just mixes in.  My girls and husband prefer the Peanut Butter Balls, but when I am craving chocolate...this is a great option!  The girls love helping with this recipe and it's super easy! Ingredients:  1 cup Chocolate or Vanilla Shakeology 1 cup all-natural peanut butter 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats 1/2 cup raw honey How to Make:  Combine ingredients into a medium bowl, mix well with rubber spatula or by hand. Roll mixture into balls about 1 inch in size. Put into container. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Enjoy cold. If you are interested in more healthy eating or Shakeology recipes or are looking for fitness support...create

Home Workouts brought my Pre-Baby Body & Confidence Back

After having my two girls, I struggled with getting to the gym as its daycare hours didn’t work around my schedule.  The best day for me was Saturday morning and thenI had to gather my iPad, earbuds, towel, diapers, wipes and two girls.  By the time we were buckled into the car, 30 minutes later, someone had to go to the bathroom.  Then once we got to the gym, I did an hour of cardio while watching Mad Men and walked around the equipment trying to recall sessions with a personal trainer years ago.  Then a week later, we did it all over again and during the week, I walked outside a few nights a week.  My eating habits were somewhat healthy, but I finished my daughter’s mac and cheese and nibbled on her pretzels and goldfish during snack time. As a result, I didn't lose weight, I was tired and I was somewhat depressed as I missed the time and luxury of going to the gym before they were born. Then a friend posted her results from 21 Day Fix and I asked her a few questions th

Almond Joy candy vs. wonder whip

As Halloween approaches, candy options are more and more tempting.  Ok, maybe candy is tempting all year around!!  You want to think those little pieces of chocolate won't affect your weight goals, but they can.  Especially when it's hard to just eat one or two.  Personally, I would much rather have several bites of dessert than just one, so these wonder whip solutions are an amazing alternative to a few pieces of candy!! They are much more filling and satisfying!!  Whip up a bowl today and give your sweet tooth what it wants!!   Thanks to Ilana Muhlstein for sharing this recipe and her registered dietitian knowledge through the 2B Mindset Nutrition program and certified mentorship training!  B oth the Almond Joy candy and wonder whip have 235 calories, but you get a WHOLE cup with the whip rather than just two bites!!  Ingredients:  1 Cup 0-2% Plain Greek Yogurt 1 TBSP unsweetened Shredded Coconut 1 TBSP Cocoa Nibs 2 tsp. cocoa powder