Skip to main content

It's not about being perfect, it's about progress and moving forward

My journey began almost four years ago as I sat the pool tired, frustrated and yes, a little jealous.  As I looked around at the other moms I was envious of how great they looked in their bikinis, even after having kids.  Although, I lost most of my weight from having my girls, I still had 10-15 pounds I wanted to lose. Most of all I wanted my hips and waist to slim down because none of my dress pants fit comfortably.  

I thought my problem was not getting to the gym.  I was only going once or twice a week for 30-45 minutes.  While there I would walk and run on the treadmill or elliptical machine.  Although I had worked at the gym throughout college, I never had a solid workout schedule with weights and the machines and honestly they still intimidate me.  So I would walk around looking at them, maybe try a few machines and then feel like everyone was watching wondering what I was doing, so I'd get the girls from the daycare and head home. 
At home, I would eat chips and salad for a post workout snack and then after dinner I would have a few scoops of ice cream or a bowl of cereal.  I thought I was eating well since most of the foods I had were low calorie and low fat.  However, I didn't eat many veggies and I ate LOTS of fruit.  
Then as I sat at the pool scrolling Facebook, I saw a high school friend's before and after picture from only 3 weeks of working out at home and eating from a portion control meal plan.  I was so impressed with her results, I messaged her for more details and that's how I my journey began with home workouts in July 2014.

It wasn't easy taking those pictures and seeing myself but I knew I wanted to change and I knew they would keep me motivated through tough times. Each week I took a picture of myself in the mirror and I started seeing changes and it DID motivate me.  So now as I start another new program, I continue to take the weekly pictures to see my progress.

My goals with this newest journey are much different than 3 1/2 years ago.  Now that I've lost 20 pounds and increased my energy level and confidence, I want to keep it!! I want to tone and strengthen my muscles and continue to work on self-improvement.  I've always struggled with being a perfectionist and always wanting more.  Through listening to personal development books, I gained happiness and learned about being more present in my life, but I still struggle weekly and know without daily guidance from books and my friends I will slip back into old habits.  

The great thing about all these programs is they come with a program guide that walk you through getting started with the meal plan and provide a workout schedule.  Therefore, if you just read through the materials and follow the guidelines, you will see change and results in a matter of weeks.  It sounds so easy, but I'll admit it does take time and it isn't always easy, especially when life gets in the way....school is cancelled for days for snow, you get up early to figure it out and the kids get up early too or there's a leak in the house or your car and you are stressed about getting it fix. 

That's where having a coach and a challenge group come in handy.  My coach answers so many questions from myself and the others in our support community.  In my first group, years ago, I remember having so many questions and worrying I would be bothering my coach by asking her questions.  Then she added me to a Facebook group with others like me that were just starting the program too.  Everyone posted their questions and commented with their thoughts and suggestions.  The coach gave info from her experience in the comments and also added videos in the group to explain the meal plans and workouts and provide encouragement.  

These groups still make getting starting SOOOO much easier.  You would think I could just start any new program with ease now, but that is NOT the case!  Ok, well the ones that have the same meal plan were easy to switch and start but with this latest program, I had to learn a whole new meal plan, so it was like starting at the VERY beginning!! I spent a lot of time listening to videos from my coach and even the trainer explain the difference between a plan I followed for over three years and this new transition of a timed nutrition plan.  They seemed very similar but I still had to wrap my head around the specifics to figure it out.  After the first week, I understand it better, since I made some mistakes. However, I don't expect to get it perfect this coming week, but I'll stick with it!! 
First I had pull the containers of the cabinets.  I stopped using them, thinking I could measure my food by eye, but once I started using them again I realized I've been eating too much.  I printed out the meal guide and food list and circled all my favorite foods.  Then I plugged them into the meal plan sheet and created a grocery list. I prepped my fruits and veggies over the weekend by measuring them with the containers and putting them in ziploc bags or other ziploc containers.  Then as my alarm went off, I had symbols set up on my phone to show me which food containers I needed to eat with each meal.  
Now I am a coach and show people how to get started and help motivate them through the programs I have done and continue to learn new programs as they launch.  I'm in the groups as a challenger myself but co-host with a few friends as we keep each other accountable and moving forward when things don't go exactly as planned. This first week was a struggle as our workout times varied with school snow delays and cancellations.  One morning I started the warm up and then got a text that I needed to update a website for UK HealthCare, so I pushed pause, made the adjustments and then went back to the workout.  It doesn't always go as planned, but it's flexible and my trainer is there for me when it works for MY schedule. 
I am proud of myself for waking up early, eating and finishing my workouts each day this week.  I missed a few containers even with all my planning, but I learned from it and just kept going.  I made a shake the first day that wasn't my favorite so I changed the ingredients the next day and found a recipe I LOVED.  

I listened to 10-15 of personal development each day and loved  hearing stories about Full House and how Candance Cameron Bure has reshaped her life with a focus on God to help as she strives to be a healthy and happy mom.  I'll finish her book this week and move on to a new one that was recommended by my coach called Present over Perfect with goes right in line with my goal for this 80 day challenge.  

My goal isn't to be prefect, but to learn to be present and happy with each moment. Exercise is a stress relief and yes it makes me feel good to like what I see in the mirror.  However, even more important to me is how I feel inside and how I treat others. I'm a constant work in progress and am excited to see the changes that occur over the next 3 months! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shakeology No Bake Cookies

Over the weekend, I made Shakeology No Bake Cookies (or balls). I prefer to make these as balls rather than flattening them as cookies.  I've made them with both Chocolate and Vanilla Shakeology and both are good.  Using the Vanilla Shakeology actually creates Peanut Butter Balls...you don't really notice the vanilla...it just mixes in.  My girls and husband prefer the Peanut Butter Balls, but when I am craving chocolate...this is a great option!  The girls love helping with this recipe and it's super easy! Ingredients:  1 cup Chocolate or Vanilla Shakeology 1 cup all-natural peanut butter 1 cup quick-cooking rolled oats 1/2 cup raw honey How to Make:  Combine ingredients into a medium bowl, mix well with rubber spatula or by hand. Roll mixture into balls about 1 inch in size. Put into container. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Enjoy cold. If you are interested in more healthy eating or Shakeology recipes or are looking for fitness support...create

Home Workouts brought my Pre-Baby Body & Confidence Back

After having my two girls, I struggled with getting to the gym as its daycare hours didn’t work around my schedule.  The best day for me was Saturday morning and thenI had to gather my iPad, earbuds, towel, diapers, wipes and two girls.  By the time we were buckled into the car, 30 minutes later, someone had to go to the bathroom.  Then once we got to the gym, I did an hour of cardio while watching Mad Men and walked around the equipment trying to recall sessions with a personal trainer years ago.  Then a week later, we did it all over again and during the week, I walked outside a few nights a week.  My eating habits were somewhat healthy, but I finished my daughter’s mac and cheese and nibbled on her pretzels and goldfish during snack time. As a result, I didn't lose weight, I was tired and I was somewhat depressed as I missed the time and luxury of going to the gym before they were born. Then a friend posted her results from 21 Day Fix and I asked her a few questions th

Almond Joy candy vs. wonder whip

As Halloween approaches, candy options are more and more tempting.  Ok, maybe candy is tempting all year around!!  You want to think those little pieces of chocolate won't affect your weight goals, but they can.  Especially when it's hard to just eat one or two.  Personally, I would much rather have several bites of dessert than just one, so these wonder whip solutions are an amazing alternative to a few pieces of candy!! They are much more filling and satisfying!!  Whip up a bowl today and give your sweet tooth what it wants!!   Thanks to Ilana Muhlstein for sharing this recipe and her registered dietitian knowledge through the 2B Mindset Nutrition program and certified mentorship training!  B oth the Almond Joy candy and wonder whip have 235 calories, but you get a WHOLE cup with the whip rather than just two bites!!  Ingredients:  1 Cup 0-2% Plain Greek Yogurt 1 TBSP unsweetened Shredded Coconut 1 TBSP Cocoa Nibs 2 tsp. cocoa powder